Haircut + Color at Organic Hair Professional

Salon : Organic Hair Professional @ Hougang
Location : Blk 204, Hougang St 21 #01-97 S(530204)
Tel : 6289 9373
Stylist : Kiss Huang

I have not coloured my hair since last year, because of the damage that I think it would do to my hair as my hair ends are already quite dry. However, since I was sick of the ever-accumulating grey hair and with an upcoming wedding dinner this month, I decided to opt for an organic dye job.
Organic Hair Professional salon was my #1 choice as I have seen it around and while surfing for the address online, I chanced upon a good deal on Qoo10. $48 for haircut and colour, just the one I need.

I redeemed the coupon the next day upon purchase and the whole job took 2.5hours even though on the e-ticket, it was stated as 90minutes. I added an additional $20 due to one of the clause stated in the e-ticket that if I want to cut it under a certain length, an additional charge applies.

The salon design is common, with black as the main colour. There were 2 kinds of seats, one which faces a full-length mirror and another one which has a table. I was directed to the one with a full-length mirror which has a small side table that has to be shared with the person sitting beside me. Imagine a small table to be shared with 2 persons, with bags, spectacles, drinks and magazines. How silly!

In the end, due to the inconvenience, I only manage to read 1 magazine as the guy beside me placed his spectacles on top of the stack of magazines.

The senior stylist, Kiss is from China and is approachable, friendly, talkative and uses lots of realistic examples in answering my questions. For the very first time, I was told that my scalp is sensitive and red, as well as experiencing a mild case of hair loss even though I have healthy thick hair. It sounds contradicting to me.
He took an effort to show my scalp using their salon's hair machine but the picture is not very clear, though it does show that my follicles are clogged which could be the reason for the hair loss. ( I attribute it to the Yadah Shampoo )

He recommended that I blow-dry my hair everyday, instead of letting it air-dry as wet hair breeds bacteria which may lead to clogged follicles. I am not used to blow-drying my hair everyday but perhaps for the sake of the health of my hair, I may attempt to try and see if there's any improvement.

I was served a pack of mineral water, only after an hour in the salon which was abit long, I felt. I don't get a choice but its better than none.
I actually forgotten about asking for the brand of the organic colour dye, however Kiss kept emphasizing on their products using organic certified ingredients, for at least 3 times, even though he was not able to share the % of organic ingredients in the hair dye job, just that its ammonia-free and less drying. However, a check on their blog, reflects that their hair colouring range is known as Organic Color System hailing from Herb UK.

By using organic hair dye which contains as few parabens and harsh chemicals as possible, as well as being formulated from a naturally derived basei, it does not contain ammonia, hence the hair isn’t left feeling brittle and dry, and the scalp doesn’t feel irritated and sore.

And because I wanted a colour to cover the greys, darker colour was recommended to me. I suddenly felt like an auntie. Its the first time that I stepped into a salon to get my greys covered. I personally felt that the end result was quite black and looked abit unnatural, almost like Faye Wong in one of her shampoo hair ads. No doubt the hair feel silky smooth and shiny but I wished that the colour can be slightly lighter instead of being so dark.

And the hair dye stings badly. I don't get that kind of sting on normal colour dye but then again, it could also be because I have a sensitive scalp that day. Kiss used too much strength on my hair too, from the way he coloured my hair to washing the hair.

The tea-tree shampoo he used on my hair was minty and sting too. 6 hours later, after the sting from the hair colour and the shampoo, I could feel that my scalp is sensitive and raw than before the salon job. Then again, the fault could be really due to my sensitive scalp. Still, it was not a pleasant experience.

There is no hard-selling though Kiss did try to recommend shampoo and conditioner to me however he just back off once I decline his offer.

The haircut wasn't that fantastic, just medicore and because my hair is a glossy black, it looks thick and unnatural, at least in my opinion. However, I like that it covers my greys quite well, I just dislike the sting it comes with it.

The biggest peeve I have, is that I have a difficult time shampoo-ing my hair, because when its wet, my hair is just hard and with lots of kinks. It is like a clump of cheesy pasta that clumps together. I don't understand why as I have never experience anything like that before. The shampoo goes into the hair but I cannot wash it cleanly, like normal. The kinks and the hardness get into the way. You feel like pulling more hair as you tried to wash the hair. That resulted in big dandruffs on the first day after the dye job because I believe it was the result of the shampoo still being in the hair. It was just horrible. Terrible. Disgusting.

For the next few days, I tried washing it with more water, adding on more conditioner. It was slightly better during shampoo-ing but the kinks and hardness never go off. I dread shampoo-ing every single day. It was like a tug-o-war with my hair because I need to use more strength to get rid of all the shampoo residue from the hair, yet wet hair is at its most brittle stage so it dropped more easily.

I have read several good reviews on Q0010 before proceeding for the deal. However to me, it was an awful experience, to say the least.
On dry hair, it is very soft and shiny. Very slight kinks at the ends but no hardness. My fingers can run through my hair easily, until the ends.

While I really like the idea of a hair salon which uses organic ingredients, it just doesn't seem to work well on my hair. Its been more than a week but I have yet to see an improvement on my hair. I dread shampoo-ing. Really. First time in my life.

---------------------------------------------------

Subscribe to ReviewGalore for Free – If you’re interested in keeping in touch with me and the new articles that go up on ReviewGalore, you can subscribe in 2 ways : 

No comments