Review : Hada Labo Super Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating Lotion


Despite raves about their star product, The Super Hyaluronic Acid (SHA) Hydrating Lotion with one flying off the shelves every 9seconds, I found it tough to like this product.

I have breakouts on the T-zone, each time I used it. Its totally frustrating. I have since reduced it from daily morning usage to once a week, morning usage.
Hada Labo products subscribe to the Japanese philosophy of beauty - simple, minimal and fuss-free, hence there are no unncessary additives such as alcohol, colorant, fragrances and mineral oil in their products.
Their star product, the SHA Hydrating Lotion, contains Super Hyaluronic Acid which is an excellent ingredient to provide hydration to the skin, due to being able to penetrate the skin, locking in the moisture and forms a barrier to prevent the loss of it. ( SHA has twice the moisture retention capacity of Hyaluronic Acid as 1 gram of hyaluronic acid can retain up to 6 litres of water )




The SHA Lotion mimics skin's natural moisturising ability to enhance water retention, and preserves skin's optimum moisture balance. The end result is a skin surface that stays hydrated for longer, softer and more supple.

A friend had helped me to get the $15.90 travel-sized package when she knew that I have been looking high and low in various Watsons outlets.
I had posted my reviews on the make-up remover which I did not like, due to its smell and the facial cleanser which was not suitable for my skin type.

The hydrating lotion is a clear liquid with a slight sticky and thicker than water texture. It didn't sit well with me initially because I didn't like the sticky sensation on the skin after application.
Despite that, my skin feels bouncy, softer and hydrated after the patting motion. I appreciate the efficacy of the lotion when my skin was flaky and dehydrated. Just remember to do light patting on the skin while its damp ( rub it gently on both palms before patting motion )

I experienced zits since the first day. Occasionally, I get lucky with no breakouts, but more often than not,
I do get a zit the following day.
I have read somewhere that its recommended to continue patting until the lotion gets all absorbed into the skin but due to time constraint ( I used it in the morning, before work), I never follow thru this step.
For those who are interested in this lotion, you probably can try this method and see if it removes the tacky sticky feel and makes a difference to your skin.

Note that even though it does hydrate the skin, but using the lotion alone is just not sufficient because it is afterall, just a lotion and not a moisturiser. Personally, I have tried using it alone just so, to check the hydrating retention ability (if any) but the effects did not last till the next morning which is understandable.

It retails for $22.90 for the full original size. It scored an impressive 4.5 from 41 Makeupalley users. 90% of them would buy again.


Update (20th Feb 11) :

I have been using both this hydrating lotion and the hydrating milk for more than 2 weeks without any problems. No zits. So by being persistent at times, it does reward a person too. :)


Source : Hada Labo


Subscribe to ReviewGalore for Free – If you’re interested in keeping in touch with me and the new articles that go up on ReviewGalore, you can subscribe in 2 ways : 

No comments