Hong Kong Trip

Boo! I actually prepared a scheduled post last Friday to inform my readers that I will be off for a short trip but well, somehow it did not get posted out.
I just came back from Hong Kong last night after a 5 day trip visiting Hong Kong, Shenzhen (1day) and Macau (1 day). That just meant that I did not spent alot of time in Hong Kong, but mainly around the MongKok area, near my hotel.

This 2nd trip of mine, affirms that most Hongkongers are just an impatient and rude lot. I don't want to sound spiteful or snobbish but thats the vibes I receive from most of them. If I thought the service in Singapore is poor, Hong Kong is worse. At least, in my opinion.
If I follow up with a 2nd question, the person would spat back/shout back the answer. Or the auntie or uncle behind me in the queue will be poking or pushing me away with their paper bags when they realized that you are taking more time than necessary. (hello, I am only asking a question, which is less than 3 mins)
I had a more pleasant encounter with the simple folks in Macau and Tai-O, off Lantau Island though.

In Macau, my hubby and I were searching for St Paul Ruins and a couple, seeing the map in our hands, offered their help, followed by an old lady walking behind me, who came forward to ask where we were going.
In Tai-O, a man, upon seeing how we were lugging our luggages to find our inn, gestured widely and even asked us to follow him as he brought us to the inn we were looking for. And that is, when both parties do not understand one another. He spoke in Cantonese while we tried to reply in Mandarin.
A renovating construction guy at the inn, offered to carry my luggage down 3 flights of stairs. ( He was renovating the 2nd floor units, while I stayed on the 3rd floor ).
A young chap offered to carry my luggage down the bus steps when we were alighting from the bus at Tung Chung Bus Terminal. I can see that he's been taught well at home by his parents. :)

I could have share more about my trip but I like to keep this strictly to a beauty blog, so here's my haul. Some items are not necessary cheaper in Hong Kong, but I just get what I think it suits me.



Clarins High Definition Body Lift S$119 for 2 tubes (Budget Terminal)
Elizabeth Arden 8hr Hand Cream S$12 (Budget Terminal)
OPI Katy Perry #1 The 1 That Got Away mini S$8 (Budget Terminal)
Barrier Repair Face Mask HKD69.90 ( may be cheaper in SG Watsons)
Lush total HKD224
Chamomile Steam Eye Mask HKD38  ( I don't understand what it is but the illustration looks interesting )
Hand and Nail Balm HKD12
Lavender Travel Set organic trio HKD88
Burberrys Touch for Women EDP Minature HKD39
Kanebo Eye Shadow HKD63
Elizabeth Arden Hydrating Mask 100ml HKD68
Clinique Face Spray 30ml HKD28
Dior Hydrating Eye Cream 3ml HKD25
Naruko Face Mask HKD96  (not available in SG yet )
Naruko Tea Tree Oil Out T-Zone HKD90.40   VS  S$15 on Naruko website
Shills Eye Mask HKD75
OPI x3 HKD180 in total  - buy more and save more
Zoya HKD88
OPI Nail Polish remover HKD48

If you are into nail polishes and happened to be in HK, you can check out the shops at
G/F 222 Temple Street Jordan, Kowloon (alight at Jordan MTR)
Tel : 2388 2226
Fax : 2388 2652

I happened to stumble upon these shops during my first trip in Hong Kong and realized that many Singaporean patronize these shops too. Apparently, they sell cheaper nail polishes and hair products than Singapore.

5 comments

Tiffany said...

yes i totally agree there are many impatient, rude folks in hongkong. there was once i was taking a lift from the second floor in a cafe down to first floor and the uncle at the first floor provoked me by saying loud in cantonese "i am such a lazy bum to take lift" how come, what sort of freaking rude remark is that man, lift is for the public and what's wrong with that just coz u wanted to enter the lift quickly and get impatient there is passenger inside? and he spoke very loudly in Cantonese which unfortunately i understand (my family speaks Cantonese) and plus not to mention the huge proliferation of PRC flooding in, persistent dirty polluted air in hongkong make it a less than flattering place to stay. certain top class hotel do have a big gap in services e.g. the last hotel i stayed in langham place in mongkok, wow excellent service vs the downright lousy service in smaller hotel like dorsett . yes attitude has a lot to do their culture and upbringing. singapore isn't that bad afterall!! so sometimes when we travel, we appreciate our country more, lol

Tiffany said...

part 2
by the way, is the lady with green bag, you, Agnes? hehehe

http://reviewgalore.blogspot.com/2009/06/trip-to-hong-kong.html

Agnes said...

Hi Tiffany,
Thank goodness, I cancelled my reservation at Dorsett, it looks luxurious from the photos and the price is reasonable but the distance is too far off. Didn't realize that their service is that bad.
And yes indeed, everytime after my travels, I appreciate my country. lol. Everything seems better back home.
Gosh, can't believe this moronic no-brainer guy say such a thing. Bet he would have got a rude shock if you replied back in Cantonese. ha.
Btw, I only manage to catch the Kanebo Media brand in Tung Chung Sasa but sadly, the loose powder was not on display. I bought their eyeshadow instead. This Media range of products seem to be more affordable.
And how's your itch? Believe it should have cleared up by now?

Agnes said...

Hi Tiffany,
Sorry to disappoint you but thats not me. Hahaha. In fact, I am not in the photo.
Thanks for guessing though. Haha.

Agnes said...

Hi Tiffany,
Indeed, life has its ups and downs but perhaps we have more downs than ups, as compared to other people. Sigh.
I hope everything is well with you. Thanks for sharing.