Haircut + Perm at Ecorganics


Salon : Ecorganics
Location : 1 Thomson Ridge S(574633)
Tel : 6556 0521
Stylist : E Wee Loon

I have been withholding hair perming for more than a year, wanting to avoid harsh chemicals in my hair. Upon searching for something healthier, I stumbled upon this online and decided to give it a try. The initial impression when I check out their website was good. Professionally done with clear cut prices and promotions, giving me the vibes that its like one of those salons in the malls. Even the appearance of the exterior of the salon seems better than neighbourhood salons which I use to frequent when I was young.

Located in Upper Thomson, the location is not exactly convenient - 10 minutes walk from the nearest MRT station and limited parking lots. But there were plenty of interesting eateries around the area, with an eclectic mix of shops as well.

However, once I stepped into the salon, the vibe felt somewhat different. It feels empty and remote. The salon, with a team of 3 stylists has been around for 3 years but the paint is peeling slightly and looks worn which made the salon seem more than 3 years old.
There is no smile from the owner of the salon ( hail from China ), manning the cashier. No drinks or asking if you need more magazines though several magazines are stacked on each table. Yet their prices are comparable with salons located in shopping malls. Despite touting member promotions on their website ( if you pay $88 for it ) and various hair treatment brochures in the files placed on the table, I was told there is no promotion and only 1 hair treatment is available.
The salon uses 2 brands - Simply Organics and NOC ( botanical extracts ). Simply Organics is largely used for hair colouring while NOC is more for hair rebonding and perming. Both are 100% Ammonium-free.

The one and only welcome vibe is from my stylist, Wee Loon - affable with an easy-going demeanor, who made you feel comfortable, like a friend. After assessing my hair condition, he thinks its too dry and recommends cool perm as digital perm is more damaging with the heat. Personally, I think $158 is expensive for cool perm, especially since Act Point salon charges only $150 for digital perm. But I am going for it, because the products being used are of 100% ammonium-free.

Wee Loon is serious and focused about his work, willing to listen to my concerns and give suggestions. I wanted large curls but didn't want it to be loosened that fast. Most salons would recommend digital perm with medium curls for being lasting. Wee Loon made it a mixture of large curls in the last layer and medium curls on the outer layer. It seemed like a logical choice at that moment.

In the 4 hours I was there, there were 2 other male customers for haircuts done by the boss, other than that, the salon is relatively empty on a Saturday.
The hair washing is pretty medicore, with no deep hair massaging. Cool perm is done by using a softening lotion first, followed by a perming lotion. On both occasions, there is a tray that is placed around your neck as the lotion drips down. In other salons, the tray is usually of a paper soft type, that rests comfortably but in this salon, it uses a hard plastic bulky tray that is stiff, uncomfortable and awkward. What surprises me is that, the stylist uses a tissue paper/ cotton pad to soak the dripped lotion in the tray and squeezes it back to my hair again and again. It feels more like a saving money strategy.

I top up for a 4 step hair treatment since there was a promotion.
(1) Detoxifying Process  (2) Cleansing Process (3) Reinforcement Process (4) Nourishing Process

The detoxifying process uses the NOC Teabase Detox Complex to stimulate blood micro circulation and growth, remove toxins and clears dead cells while The cleansing process uses NOC anti-aging shampoo to revitalizes brittle hair and brings back silky radiance. The reinforcement process uses NOC anti-aging treatment to strengthen and provides improved elasticity, moisture and nourishment. Finally, The nourishment process uses NOC anti-aging complex to hydrates and oxygenates the scalp.
After the treatment, my hair feels silky smooth and soft. Curls look much nourished without any drying feel. The effect lasts well till the next few washes.

While blow-drying my hair, I am told to slide down on my seat, so that my head rests on the seat while my hair can be easily blown-dry with a big hood attached to the hand-held hair dryer. This act is similar to what I have experienced with Hair Inn Centerpoint.
However, I am dismayed to say that, my polo tee was totally wet at the neck area, when I left the salon.

For the first time, since my perming days, I don't look like a poodle and get admiring glances once I step out of the salon. However unfortunately, the curls are hardly obvious the following day. In fact, friends and family hardly notices my curls, it looks more like waves instead. Now, I am not sure how lasting these curls will be.
The supposingly large curls were even worse, its almost straight, like I have not done anything to the hair. So opt for medium curls, always. Because with time, the curls will loosen and you get beautiful large curls instead. Moving forward, I will try different hair products to make my curls more prominent.
Still, I have to say that my hair is hardly damaged or dry, with using their products and opting for cool perm. The only mistake is, I should have opted for medium curls.

Unlike other mall salons, this salon clearly has a system in place, with details of customer noted down to issue a receipt with a full breakdown of the services rendered.

Japanese Cool Perm $158 ( $20 added to the quoted price of $138 on the phone, for being extra long hair )
Wash Cut $30
Anti-aging Treatment $80 ( 43% off the original $140 )
Total : $268

4 comments

Anonymous said...

We stumbled over here different website and thought I might as well check
things out. I like what I see so i am just following you.
Look forward to exploring your web page for a second time.


Here is my web blog: Aloe Vella Skin Product

Beauty Undercover said...

Hello there!

We are here again to request for your permission to reproduce this post on Beauty Undercover at the following URL: http://www.beautyundercover.sg/hair/ecorganics-hair-salon-thomson-bishan-novena/

Let us know if its okay!

We are happy to remove the post if you are uncomfortable :)

Cheers,
Agent G

Ecorganics said...

Dear Review Galore,

Thank you for your review on us. It has been a beneficial read.

We will definitely aim to improve on our service and our range of products.

We are currently undergoing some changes as such you may find that we are quite limited on service and products.

We would love for you to come back to us after we have implemented our changes.

Thank you.

Ecorganics

Agnes said...

Hi Agent G, an excerpt will be much preferred. Pls kindly do the necessary changes on your site and link back to my blog. Cheers.